Men Don't Listen and Wayne L. Misner 2021©
How Did We Ever Survive?©
· We survived being born to mothers who smoked and drank while pregnant.
· They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, used saccharin, and didn’t get tested for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
· We were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paint, dress in non-fireproof pajamas.
· We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets; and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
· As infants & children, riding in cars with no car or booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
· Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm sunny day was a special treat.
· We drank water from garden hoses, park fountains, and not from a bottle.
· We shared one soft drink with friends, from one bottle and No One actually died from this.
· We ate cupcakes, white bread & real butter & drank Koolade made with sugar, but we weren’t overweight because – WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
· We would leave home in the morning & play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on, swimming in a river, stream or lake without any life guards or adults around,- -had very few toys- -played kick the can- -hide and seek- -stick ball & hand ball.
· No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
· We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
· We did not have TVs & later no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD’s no surround-sound or CD’s, PlayStations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no cell phones, personal computers, Internet or chat rooms……what we did was sit around the kitchen table and play games like Monopoly or listen to radio shows like, Sherlock Holmes, Jack Benny, Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, INNER SANCTUM and then TV with LUCILLE BALL, Uncle Milti & others.
· We had friends and went outside and found more!
· We fell out of trees, fell off park playground devices, got cut, broke bones & teeth & there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
· We ate worms & mud pies made from dirt, & the worms did not live in us forever.
· We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks & tennis balls &, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
· We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house & knocked on the door or rang a bell, or just walked in & talked to them.
· Little League, Cheer Leaders had try outs & not everybody made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
· The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
· These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers & inventors ever!
· The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation & new ideas. Wash ing machines, vacuums, microwave ovens, cell phones, PC’s and so many other items I don’t have time to read all the manuals.
· We had failure, success & responsibility, & we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
· If you are one of us…..CONGRATULATIONS!
* Composite of my & others writings over the years.
|Review for Men Don't Listen|
|Review for Men Cry Too|